The perfect picnic
This one bowl Lemon and Courgette Loaf Cake is the perfect dessert to have at a picnic and a great way to use up leftover courgettes, it’s low in sugar, and best of all it’s made using our Daioni Organic Long-Life Whole milk.
Using our milk in your bakes means having more goodness in your diet, including:
- Protein and Iron for our bodies to repair, develop and grow
- Calcium for maintaining strong teeth and bones
- Magnesium for regulating muscle and nerve function
- Omega 3 for to promote good brain health and maintain a healthy heart
- Vitamin A, C and E to protect your immune system
1 1/2 courgette, grated and drained (very important step)
2 lemons, zest and juice
85g caster sugar
75g low fat spread/ butter
100ml Daioni Organic Long-Life Whole Milk
250g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
For the glaze:
- zest of both lemons
- 45g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp Daioni Organic Long-Life Whole Milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees and line a loaf tin with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter and pour into a large mixing bowl, leave to cool for a minute or two. Pour in the milk and lemon juice and crack in the egg. Give the mixture a good mix until everything is well combined.
- Sieve in the flour and baking powder and add the sugar, and combine until you achieve a thick batter.
- Add in the grated courgette (make sure to drain out the water using kitchen paper or a cheese cloth as this can change the texture of the batter), and mix until everything is combined.
- Transfer the mix to the loaf tin and place in the oven for 45-50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl stir together the lemon zest, icing sugar and tablespoon of milk to create the glaze. Once the cake is ready, leave to stand for 30 mins before drizzling over the glaze.
Don’t forget to share your creations with us by tagging us @daioniorganic!